My one weak attempt to preserve memories for my girlies.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Good bye to Rudy

Let me preface by saying that I didn't even know I was an animal lover. After writing this I think I might be the crazy lady with 40 cats in a couple years. If you are annoyed by people that like pets you can stop reading, of course I thought I was one of those people...

Before we had kids (Seb made me wait till he was done with school... mean, or responsible) we got a kitty. Apparently we really should have had kids because he kind of became our child. We took him on vacation to Grandma's house and silly stuff like that. His full name became Rudolph J. Fussy Wuddles (are we those crazy pet people? yes). Then when we finally did have kids he put up with them, till they fell asleep then he slept on them. I could get a kid to take a nap by telling them, "If you are really quiet and don't move around Rudy will jump up with you and cuddle you!" And it worked. Now what am I going to do? Who is going to put O (the least wiggly one) to bed every night? Who is going to be the lump of soft fur asleep on my bed all day? Who's going to do "push paw" to my arm till it's soar? Who is going to cry and cry to get fresh water every morning (probably still one of the girls)? Who knew I really liked him all that much? I don't think I did till I found him outside face down in the dirt. He had thrown up on the carpet while we were at church so I put him outside then I couldn't find him that night. I felt so bad when I finally did find him the next morning. He couldn't even pick up his head. So I got the girls from school and we all sat around and cried. O was begging him not to die. Try not to cry when you hear a kid do that! Z was sure he would live because she said a prayer for him. Seb came home from work early and took him to the vet who said he was already half dead. So we had a little family home evening, by the fire trying to get his kitty temperature back up, then Seb picked him up and he died in his arms. So sad. He looked alive still but he was gone. We all petted (?) him till the grave was dug then cried out one the back deck while we buried him. S freaked out when we had to cover up the box, so sad. The girls wrote notes and put it in with him S's said "I loved cleaning out your litter box."??? She is such a sweet kid. I really wish our fence was in and all the neighbors couldn't see us. I am sure we were quite a sight all hugging each other and crying. Seriously it was so pathetic but I couldn't help myself. Here are some happier times:
The focus is all off, but Rudy knew he could get some petting when I was feeding the babies.
He let you hold him like a baby, what cat ever lets you do that? Oh wait our cousins?
He always loved me most when I was pregnant and would lay next to the baby bump.
Some of the harassment he put up with.


He always looked grumpy, maybe that is why some neighbor kids were afraid of him, but he was totally sweet and harmless (no claws). I don't know if I ever want a pet again. That was all so sad. Is it always that bad?

7 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

This is so sad! I am not an animal lover (thus the 2 cats we got while I was in Japan)...but man, they become part of the family! So cute that they wrote notes! Hope the girls (and you) are ok!!

March 29, 2011 at 10:41 PM

 
Blogger Jessica Jane said...

I'm going to be a basketcase when our dogs die. I almost cried thinking about it when I read your post.

People tell me that practicing the grieving process with your kids on pets is healthy. ??? Whatever, why would you want to practice it?

March 30, 2011 at 8:27 AM

 
Blogger Leanne said...

SAD!! my kids loved your cat (back in Orem) I guess you got some life lessons in for your girls? :(

March 30, 2011 at 1:13 PM

 
Blogger Donelle Anderson said...

Oh Presh, that was so sad! My Mom just came down to my house on Monday and she brought with her Roxy's paw print that the vet had made for me for a keepsake. She passed away in February, almost 21 years old.

March 30, 2011 at 11:04 PM

 
Blogger Summer said...

Oh man Precia, I just teared right up! I'm so sorry. You already know that I'm an animal lover so no surprise here. Hugs to your sweet little family.

March 31, 2011 at 7:39 AM

 
Blogger Karly said...

Saddest day EVER! I am so sorry! I HATE CATS but I would bawl like a baby if I had to go through that too! :(
LOVES

April 4, 2011 at 1:01 PM

 
Blogger hlw said...

So, we just put our cat down this morning and Lyd told me I had to read about your experience. I blogged about Goliath. That was hard!!

April 11, 2011 at 3:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home