Instead of looking for eggs this year we went geode hunting. Who knew we lived really close to a place where all you do in dig into the side of a hill and the geode's come tumbling out. Well actually we don't live that close although I was told it was right in our backyard (ehhem). We ended up driving almost all the way to Nevada on a dirt road, but it was an adventure.

The girls loved it because the rocks are full of crystals (that's what geodes are - all you people that don't have an eagle scout for a husband). We kept breaking them open with a hammer then noticed everyone around us looking at us like we were nuts. So we took the rest of the pile home and cut them straight with the tile saw. So pretty. But I am really not sure what you do with a bucket full of geodes. Birthday gifts for the whole next year?

I think more than anything the girls loved doing something with their Dad. He was super excited about all the minerals out there. We also found topaz mountain, (s's birth stone) topaz everywhere. All you had to do was dig for a minute and you got a little chunk. It was kind of funny to be a rock nerd for a day. And by the way there were a ton of rock nerds out there. All geared up, had been camping for days, looking for the mother load. Some seriously entertaining people watching to be had.

Of course we celebrated Easter the real way later. But I do have to pat myself on the back. This year there were no new dresses. Really no one needed any and I couldn't find any that I had to have. Sorry for the "tom-boy" easter post.
2 Comments:
This is the ultimate Easter egg hunt! My boys would have LOVED that! Luke especially.
May 11, 2011 at 7:59 PM
OK, where was that geode place that you went to?? Because in my youth I was dragged ALL over with my rock loving parents, and found NADA!! seriously. Also been to Topaz Mt. fun stuff! (and Danny is a HUGE rock nerd.) lucky me. I guess... :)
May 13, 2011 at 2:56 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home