My one weak attempt to preserve memories for my girlies.

Monday, July 28, 2008

Spudman Triathlon




Finally it is over and I can sleep!!!  It feels so good to have it out of the way.  I wish I could have done it all faster, but I wasn't even sure I was going to finish at all until the last mile of the run.  I was a little disappointed that it wasn't more fun.  I guess it is as fun as you make it, and I didn't get to do a lot of socializing because I missed the dinner, and there were a million people going crazy trying to get there stuff all in the right place. After going through the names and times there were a bunch of people I knew but didn't even see.  Also I'm not sure I would drag the whole family through it again.   It was fun to have them there to support, (I would have cried at the finish if nobody was there) but it was hard on Z because when I left her in the morning she was crying and then the next time she saw me I was running as fast as I could past her to get to the finish line.  I don't even know if I want to post my times, but you can easily look them up if you wanted to so here they are:   swim(1 mile) 19 minutes, bike (24 miles) 1 hr 15 minutes, run (6 miles) 1 hr 4 minutes.  Here are all my excuses to not doing as good as I had hoped to.  I had to pee like three times!  Once during every event!  Also my knees were killing and I was trying to preserve them somewhat.  After all that I even more than ever want to do it again.  It was fun to do it with two of my good friends (Megan and Heleen).  So here are some pics.   

So sad and scary.  A man died that day in the river.  I didn't know it till the race was all over.  My heat started at 7:40 and he went under at 7:50 and was found at 8.  I'm not sure if he started with us or 1o minutes after, but my heart aches for his poor family.  Like with any death I wish I could have been there to save him.  I guess he called for help then just went under, if I could have been closer I feel like I could have kept him up (all those lifeguard skills finally put to use).  But that river is huge and there are so many swimmers and boats.  I'm sure there are at least a couple hundred other people who are feeling the same way.  Just to give you an idea of how huge the heats are, I unknowingly started with three other girls I knew and didn't even see them there at all ( I just saw there names on the sheet later)!  After that the swim was cancelled and everyone else just started on bikes.  

5 Comments:

Blogger Daybreaking Dickersons said...

Crazy, we were just talking about this. I didn't know this was the event you were doing. Why didn't you just do one in Utah?

July 28, 2008 at 10:21 AM

 
Blogger Jessica Jane said...

Precia your times were great! I've never been brave enough to do an Olympic distance triathlon. Nice work!

So sad about that man. How terrible. Do you think they will do the race next year?

July 28, 2008 at 1:03 PM

 
Blogger Leanne said...

Congrats on the triathlon! I couldn't do it! you are truly amazing.

July 29, 2008 at 10:32 PM

 
Blogger anna said...

Congratulations! I was thinking of you. You did awesome. Very inspiring... I think I'll eat another reese's cup and use the pregnant excuse to waste away...for a few more months :)

July 31, 2008 at 1:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW Sis. T. That's awesome, I could never do something like that!!! Yay for you!!! :)

August 1, 2008 at 9:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home